Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Keeping updated

In the interest of keeping updated here are a few random pictures because we haven't done much. Winter is so different from the summer!
I wanted to start getting my kids more involved with volunteering. It is kind of hard at such a young age but the Humanitation Services allowed me to bring my girls to the store. They usually only allow 12 and older and were thinking of allowing down to 8 years old. Well mine are only 6 and 4 but he said to go ahead and bring them and it would give him a good idea of what to expect and what to allow for the future. So the three of us headed down there to see what we could do.
We ended up sorting two big buckets of crayons, markers, pencils and pens. Ashley had a great time and was very excited to help. She expecially liked finding the random things in the box that had nothing to do with crayons markers etc.
Brooke did as good as I think any 4 year old would do. I had her dig through and find all the crayons. Once she found all she could she was done. I tried to get her to find me all the pencils after that but she wasn't as interested anymore. She was still really good and waited patiently while Ashley and I finished. At the end the guy was really impressed with how much we sorted in such a short amount of time.
It was a good experience to start with and I think we will do it again.I took the side rail off Carter's crib since he gets in and out by himself all the time anyway. And I thought he would like a "big boy" bed. It lasted for one day. The next day he wanted it back on. I am thinking it might have to do with the fact that his blankets kept falling to the ground in the night and he was coldd. I had to go recover him a couple of times.
My wonderful husband surprised me by borrowing our friends tractor to rototill my garden. We have a tractor but we loaned it out and now it is not working. It is easier for Gary to borrow than it is to fix ours.
Funny thing about the story is Ashley had Hailey for a sleep over. Gary was doing the garden and the ground is still just way to wet and the tractor sank. Jayme showed up at that exact time to pick up Hailey and see his tractor stuck in the mud. What timing! So we had to borrow another friends bobcat to pull it out. Then once we got the tractor unstuck, the bobcat got stuck so then we had to use the tractor to get it out. Gary was a little annoyed but he did finish the garden and I really appreciate him for doing it.
Now I need to plant stuff and hope that it grows!

No comments: