Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Maggie the Rooster

Sadly one of the chickens Ashley bought, which she named Maggie, turned out to be a boy. On top of that he was extremely aggressive and made the kids too scared to go near them. Brooke got pecked at twice. I got pecked in the back of my leg through my jeans and it broke skin. And the worst was he knocked Carter over. This is extra scary because it put his beak right at Carter's face. I was in the house and Ashley came screaming hysterically. I ran out side to see heroic Brooke kicking the chicken and picking Carter up moving him out of the way. What a great sister! I was so proud of her for being brave and making sure Carter was safe. After that I wasn't taking anymore. We called a friend who said he would come get the chicken and deliver to someone hungry.
Gary & Maggie
Yes Maggie is in the grocery bag. This is Justin who came to take Maggie away and the girls saying good bye. They don't seem to upset to see him leave.
We decided to put Maggie in a box so that Justin could strap him to his motorcycle and take him to town. I could not believe that big chicken fit in a milk box. I found it very funny and laughed the whole time they were shoving him in there.


Maggie all boxed up and ready for his motorcycle ride and eventually someone's dinner plate.
The rest of the chickens are so much more calm now. It is pretty amazing the difference. And the girls are much better about opening/closing the gate and getting eggs now since they are not being attacked.

No comments: