My mother is a Leap Year baby so she is really on 17 1/2! Her sister Moira flew from Scotland and her sister Margaret and her husband Don flew from Utah as a surprise to celebrate. I had been trying to plan additional surprises but mom kept spoiling them. She notices any little change in her house. "I didn't put that decoration there" "There is a leaf on my kitchen floor" Really???!!!
She knew when anyone came in her house when she was gone. She noticed every thing I took the very same day I took it. And she made phone call after phone call trying to solve the mysteries. I am not a good liar and was so frustrated at this point that she just wouldn't let it go. I finally admitted it was me but that I was not telling her what I was doing. Even though she she figured everything out she went with the flow and didn't say or question anything I did after that. And since I had given up on surprising I just flat out asked her for her address book which she nicely handed over. I sent out letters to everyone in her book asking them to write a memorir or something special about Silvie. The next day after I mailed the letters and gave her book back she says "There are several people that have died I hope you know which ones they were." Again, Really???!!!
There were other surprised spoiled but one we did pull off is that Scott's family decided to come at the last minute and so we didn't tell mom they were coming. Scott was racing a marathon in Arizona so he couldn't be there and DereK previous plans. But the rest came. Anthony is at college in Cedar City and Nathan is also going to college. When she walked in my house for the party and saw MaryKay McKayla and Radley she just screamed. Then she went upstairs and saw the college boys and screamed again. It was a full house and we had a great time.
Here is the food before the food. We started with appetizers and the chocolate fountain. Then we had a yummy yummy Tri Tip dinner. Thank you Marlo for cooking them!! And then cake and icecream. We ate for 9 hours straight!
Carter sharing with Kennedy. Whatever Carter had Kennedy would take from him. He never complained. What a nice cousin!
Kids played hot potatoe and Duck Duck Goose
Lots of cuddles and kisses
Dancing to ABBA
I made a memory game of Scotland pictures and of my mom's brothers and sisters. They had to match the spouse. Since most of the family has not met my moms family (most still live in Scotland) this was a fun challenge. 

Singing Happy Birthday--Hip Hip Hooray!
Blowing out the candles
Eating the cake with Presly and Brooke
Aunt Moira not letting any icecream go to waste.
Nathan playing with Brooke
Sylvia with her sisters and the babies
Moira & Kennedy Margaret & Haydenne Sylvia & Carter
Merrily put together a wonderful slideshow of pictures from when mom was young and pictures that we all sent to her of our families. She put ALOT of work into this, thank you Merrily!
We had 40 people in the theater room.
Aunt Moira telling Ashley stories. Ashley could not keep her eyes of her. Her mouth was dropped open and she was listening very intently. I wonder if she could understand what Aunt Moira was saying!
Then they pulled the blanket over themselves to tell secrets. They did this for a long time.
Brooke & Uncle Steven--Thanks for the icecream!
Aunt Margaret tickling Carter. He loved it!
My Aunts and Uncles only request was In-n-Out while they were here. I think they would have liked to have gone again but we invaded their time and hung out with them the whole time. We played alot of Five Crowns and ate alot of soft serve icecream from Steven & Merrily. Then Sunday morning we had german pancakes at Stewart's before church. And after church more games, more icecream and dinner at Steven & Merrily's. Then just like that it was over. It was a fun weekend and I think my mom really enjoyed it.
Happy Birthday Mom!
2 comments:
This is one of those times where it is sad that we live so far away! We love Aunt Silvie!
Finally getting a chance to check out "the party". Looks like you all had a great time. Hope Sylvia felt loved!
And about those AZ photos. Where was that wedding? Looks like you are across the street from my mothers in Gilbert. Were you?
Post a Comment