Thursday, March 3, 2011

All about Carter

We had a chicken attack a couple of months back going from 10 chickens to 3.  What was even more sad is that they were just starting to lay eggs again after the long winter of not having any.  Gary was out of town and me and the girls were leaving for church.  As we were going down the driveway I saw a dead chicken and announced to the kids to look.  I didn't have time to do anything about it so I just left it and went to church.  When I got home I picked it up and went looking for the others.  There was nothing to be found anywhere!!  I had one other pile of feathers where obviously one fought for its life but that was it.  No evidence of anything.  Just 7 missing chickens.  March is when you can start buying baby chicks again so we went out and bought just a couple more.  Gary was surprised that I didn't buy more.  Well somehow a couple of the baby chicks went missing too!  I have no idea if they jumped out of the box or what but we lost two more.  So we went and bought more.  We were up to 12 babies but one died.  We currently have 3 adults and 11 babies.  Gary should have never said anything about not buying very many!  Our neighbor down the street has a chicken brooder that he let us borrow.  It was awesome!  teh chicks were completely safe and cleaning was so easy and it didn't smell for the first month.  Once they started to smell I booted them out to the coop with the adult chickens.  Funny thing is the adults are afraid of all the babies!

Herre Carter is holding one of the babies.
Poor Carter.  Brooke put make up on him! 


Helping dad put oil in the pest control truck.  What a good helper!


Sleeping in a big bed.
  I am just waiting for the night he falls out of it.  It is taller than he is!

No comments: