Every day Ashley lets the chickens out of the coop and they free range around the back of the property. We have never had any problems until two days ago. Gary was working in the garage and got a phone call. Gary paces as he talks on the phone and so he went out of the garage to talk and pace and saw our chickens being attacked by two dogs!! I saw a few of the chickens on my back porch and went to get them off when Gary came inside and got the gun. I didn't know what was going on yet and went around the house scaring chickens off my yard. Little did I know they were running for their lives!
I walked around to the front and Brooke's favorite chicken, Trouble, was walking along the fence line. So I followed her and she had stuck her head through the fence next to a bush trying to hide. Gary said she was hurt pretty bad. We got her out of the fence and I carried her to the coop and put her in. Her entire tail feathers were gone and she was bleeding. I have a more gruseome picture but thoought this more appropriate. She was so scared. The only other chicken we found was a one of our original white ones and she was missing a ton of feathers too and had a bite on her upper leg. I know they are only chickens and I really am not that attached to them but I felt so bad.
At this time we only had 2 out of 12 chickens. Ashley had been taking a nap and I thought how I would have to tell her that dogs attacked her chickens when she woke up. Brooke was watching a movie and I never said anything to her because I didn't think she really cared.
A few more chickens appeared before she woke up but 3 of her original chickens that she bought were still missing. I told her what happened and asked if she wanted to help me look for them. So we went outside and I showed her all the feathers everywhere and showed her how hurt Trouble was. She was very cute and kept asking why rude dogs came in our yard. She says she felt bad for the chickens that the dogs were mean to them.
We went back inside and I was heading to the garage to tell Gary that we found two more when I heard Ashley telling Brooke "Brooke, dogs came in our yard and hurt your favorite chicken" Brooke stopped me in my tracks when she said "My chicken?" then laid her head in Ashley's lap and started crying!! I was so shocked! I didn't think she cared about them. I quickly went over and hugged her and told her the chicken was ok and that we saved her. I asked her if she wanted to go check on Trouble. So she went out side and bent down and talked to the chicken and pet her. I was standing on the porch and couldn't hear what she said. But she clearly was showing she cared. It was very touching to me.
I have no idea where they all went but during the next two hours they slowly started returning. I found the last two on the other side of the fence in the neighbors yard. So we still have 12 chickens, yeah!
Poor trouble with a bitten behind and no feathers
3 comments:
It sounds like your little Brooke who is always giving you trouble may surprise you as she grows. I'm glad that you got all your chickens back. Are you getting a lot of eggs from them (or were you before winter)? Do you let them out anymore?
Aw, sad story, but happy ending! Glad it turned out well. "my chicken"? I could just picture it, so cute!
What a sad story, but at least they are all ok. I hope one of the dogs wasn't Christina's! I am so glad you found them all.
Post a Comment