Monday, December 22, 2008

Introducing Carter Todd Evans

I know I know, he is almost two weeks old and you all have been so patient! But finally I have time and energy (sort of) to post pictures.
First the stats: Born Dec 10, 2008 1:47 AM weighing in at 9 lb 2 oz, 21 1/2 inches and I delivered a la natural!
Story: Had my check up that morning and I was barely a "one". I asked her to strip my membranes and she said she could try but it probably wouldn't do anything since nothing really was happening in the first place. But whatever she did worked because about 5 hours later the contrations started. That night we went to our friends the Pechan's for dinner and on the way over I was telling Gary that we might be leaving the kids with them that night. After dinner we started to play a game but the contractions were getting closer. I was trying to ignore the situation as long as possible because everything was a flashback from Ashley and I did not want to have that experience ever again! Gary was stressed out because I would not say when a contraction would come and Jayme was wondering why I didn't want to get to the hospital. I just did not want to sit in the hospital for hours on end the same as I did with Ashley and the contractions felt exactly the same as hers so I just didn't want to go. Gary said I didn't have to go but that we at least needed to get closer to town since we were at least a half hour away. So I finally gave in and we went to the hospital. It was about 8:00 pm and I was dilated to "four" so they admitted me and hooked me up to all the stuff that I dreaded. Two hours later I was in tears feeling that this was going to be an Ashley experience all over again. At 11:45 we finally convinced the doctor to break my water. Instantly the "Brooke contractions" started and I thought for sure that it was going to be over in no time. I refused drugs because I honestly didn't think there was going to be time. It was not the same wonderful experience I had delivering Brooke but two hours later when I was giving up and deciding I wanted drugs, he came! I was so relieved but so worn out. As horrible as it was I will probably try natural next time, too. I know it sounds crazy but in an hour or two I was feeling great and recovery is so much faster. I am not a hospital fan and so as soon as he was out I was asking when I could go home. Because he was so big he had to have blood sugar testing and he dropped too low on his second check and so they wouldn't send me home in the 12 hour time frame. But we got him to pass the next two tests and we were home by 6:30 that same day. I was only in the hospital for 20 hours. Anyway, here are some pictures from that wonderful day.
Brand spankin' new!
Already trying to hold his head up
looking at daddy and holding his face
I love this picture!
Proof...9 lb 2 oz
All bundled up after his first bath
Ashley holding for first time
Brooke holding for first time
Dressed to go home

4 comments:

Lauren said...

That's how big my second was! exactly...congratulations!

Lori Lou said...

Wow what a cutie! Congrats...I love that you named him Carter. I went natural with Ben. So much better when it was all over.

Unknown said...

You guys are killing me! I waited forever for pics. Super cute, can't wait to meet him.

Rilla said...

Shannon, you are a rockstar! Congratulations. Squishy 9lb.+ newborns are the greatest thing! Love love love his name!